What to Do in Case of an Incident

The College offers assistance and non-judgmental support to any party involved in an incident of sexual misconduct. The College understands that individuals involved in an incident of sexual misconduct will have questions and may need the support of on- and off-campus services. All parties are encouraged to utilize both on-campus and off-campus resources for assistance.



ONE: Get Safe and Reach Out for Support

  • Once you are safe, Ampersand Sexual Violence Resource Center is available 24 hours a day at 859-253-2511. They can offer support and referrals. They can meet you at an emergency room and accompany you to the police department.
  • Call the Centre Counseling Center at 859-238-5740 or counseling@centre.edu. Please let them know it is urgent to schedule an appointment because of a crisis. After hours, in the case of an emergency, a counselor can be reached through DPS or your Resident Assistant. DPS and RA’s are mandatory reporters and you do not need to tell them why you need to speak with Counseling--just that it's an emergency.

TWO: Seek medical attention ASAP.

  • SAFE exams are available at any emergency department including Ephraim McDowell Regional Medical Center (EMRMC) a few blocks from campus. Department of Public Safety can provide transportation off campus to an emergency room. 
    • Upon arrival at the ER, you can request a Sexual Assault Forensic Exam (SAFE) to preserve evidence or indicate that you have been sexually assaulted. 
    • A Sexual Assault Nurse Examiner (SANE) is a registered nurse with specialized training in forensic evidence collection and care for a patient who has experienced sexual assault. Ephraim McDowell has several SANE nurses available in the Emergency Department.  When presenting to the ER, request to see a SANE nurse.  The University of Kentucky's ER department also has Sexual Assault Nurse Examiners to offer care.
    • To the best of your ability, do not shower, brush teeth, or use the restroom if you want an exam. However, SAFE exams are available for up to 96 hours after the incident as some evidence may still exist.
    • The SAFE exam will be available at no out-of-pocket cost to you.  If you do not want your insurance billed, communicate this very clearly.  The cost of the exam will be billed to the Kentucky Claims Commission.
    • You do not need to decide that you will make a report at the time of the exam. You have time to decide. Nothing will be done without your consent.  If you only want sexually transmitted infection (STI) meds/Emergency Contraceptive and do not want the forensic exam, say so.  If you want the exam but do not want medications, say so.  If you do not want a Bluegrass Rape Crisis Center advocate present, say so.  If you do not wish to press charges, you do not have to even if you speak with the police. 
    • Emergency contraception and treatment for sexually transmitted infections (STI) will be offered during your ER visit.  If you decide not to have a forensic exam, then you should know orders for STI testing, STI treatment, and emergency contraception are also available during regular hours in the student health office on campus. STI testing, including anonymous testing, is available at the Boyle County Health Department.  Emergency contraception is available over-the-counter at most pharmacies.

THREE: Read about privacy and confidentiality. Decide what’s right for you.

  • Privacy and confidentiality are different. The chaplain, student health, and counseling staff are confidential resources. This means they will not share what you have told them. Privacy means that Centre administrators, faculty, and other mandatory reporters will respect your information. They will only share information with those that "need to know." 

FOUR: Access Academic or Residential Support

  • Title IX is designed to ensure that no one is prevented from their education. We want you to feel safe and thrive in the place where you work, live, and study, and sexual violence can have long-term effects. Ann James, the Title IX Coordinator, can provide assistance with interim measures such as changes in coursework, housing, or work study assignments. However, Centre Counseling is also a confidential way to seek accommodations.

FIVE: Consider Making a Sexual Misconduct Report with Centre

  • Report to the Title IX Team by phone, email, or in-person. Contact John Perrin, Director of Equal Opportunity & Title IX Compliance, at 859-238-5881 or John.Perrin@centre.edu. A report does not initiate an investigation - it merely notifies the Title IX Office that you need outreach and resources. If a formal or informal process moves forward, you can be assured that you will be communicated with every step of the way. You may also contact any member of the Title IX team or a trusted faculty/staff member, Resident Assistant, Residence Director, or coach and tell them what happened. They will help initiate a report.
  • Make an Online Report. Reports can be made by the survivor, a witness/bystander, or any person in the community who is concerned about an incident. If an anonymous report is made, we will investigate the report to the extent we are able and, if applicable, include it as a statistic in DPS reports. All reports help Centre better understand the incidence of sexual violence in our community and help education, prevention, and safety efforts. Click here for Sexual Misconduct Assault Reporting Tool (SMART).

SIX: Decide Whether to Make a Police Report

  • We encourage you to make a report with the police and we can assist or support you. We can provide transport, escort, or information to make a police report or to help you with a restraining order.

SEVEN: Don’t Go Through This Alone

  • Be good to yourself and keep being good to yourself. Sexual assault has immediate and long term effects, and you are not to blame.
  • Attend one-on-one or group counseling at Centre or through Ampersand.
  • Talk to people you trust in your network. Let people know if you are struggling.
  • Reach out to SPEAC students. They are familiar with resources on campus and in the community. They can tell you about the Title IX complaint process. They can drink coffee with you, share a meal, or walk you to the counseling center.