Before data collection or applying for IRB approval, all researchers who are working with participants or participant data must complete research ethics training. This includes the primary investigator, all student researchers, and faculty mentors for student research. This can be completed for free through the CITI Program. If this is already completed, you can skip to step 5 below.
1. Visit this website: https://about.citiprogram.org/
2. Click register in the upper right corner and provide the information required to create an account
- Centre College is your organization affiliate
- Fill out the basic information
- Click NO for CE credits
- Your role will likely be Student Researcher, most information is optional
- Question 1: Student or Faculty
- Question 2: Leave blank
- Question 3: Choose your field, SBE is most common
- Question 4: The Information Privacy course is optional
3. Complete the modules that are assigned to you
4. Once the modules are completed, you should write down your CITI ID number for use on the research application. This is found in the upper right corner when you are logged into your account.
5. Submit an IRB application by clicking HERE
- Because IRB applications may require review and edits from several members of the committee, we respectfully ask that you submit your proposal no less than thirty (30) days in advance of your intended project start date. Many applications are expedited due to the determination of exempt status, but we cannot guarantee faster approval.
- Investigators must immediately report any unanticipated adverse effects, events, other problems involving risks to subjects to the IRB Chair.