Only those international students in F-1 status who have permission to work on campus are eligible for Social Security numbers. You should wait until you have been in the U.S. at least ten days before applying for a social security number. This will allow for enough time for your immigration information to be entered into the system, which is then verified by the social security office. You will need the following to apply for a social security card:
a letter from your employer that must be signed, dated and include:
- Your job title and a brief description of what you (will) do
- Your employment start date
- The number of hours you (will) work during a normal week/month
- Your supervisor’s name, title, and telephone number
- Email address is optional, but encouraged
- a completed Social Security Administration Application (You can take a copy from Jessica Leonard's office or download one online https://www.ssa.gov/forms/ss-5.pdf . Fill out page 5.)
- For #1 Name, 3 Place of Birth, 4 Date of Birth: your information should match that which is in your passport
- For #5 Citizenship: you should choose “Legal Alien Allowed to Work”
- For #16 Mailing Address: use your campus address (600 West Walnut Street, Danville, Kentucky, 40422)
- a “Social Security letter” from Jessica Leonard, Karen Ryan, or Lori Hartmann that verifies your full-time enrollment and good standing with the College and SEVP.
- a valid passport
- I-94 (Can print from here: https://i94.cbp.dhs.gov/I94/#/home )
The Social Security Office in Danville is located right behind the Applebee’s restaurant near Kroger (103 Belinda Blvd, Danville, KY 40422). It is open Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday from 9am to 4pm, and Wednesday from 9am to 12pm-noon. It is closed on Saturdays, Sundays, and holidays. On most days, they are busiest from opening to about 2pm, especially near the beginning and end of the month. A typical visit takes roughly 1 hour or less.
Either Jessica Leonard or Karen Tubb may be able to take you to the Social Security Office. Please contact them to make an appointment.