Greetings and Voicemail
This page will guide you in setting up greetings on your office phone for times you are unavailable to receive a call. Voicemail messages you receive will be delivered to you via email. They will not be accessible through your office phone. You still need to access your voicemail to record greetings. To access voicemail, please press the message key on your phone. The one time default passcode (PIN) is 181921. Please use this PIN when you access the voicemail box the first time. The system will then prompt you to create your personal PIN. Here are the requirement for the PIN.
Must contain: 6-30 digits
Must not contain
- Repeated patterns
- Your phone number or extension
- The reverse of your phone number or extension
- Last 10 Voicemail PINs
- The reverse of your old PIN
- 4 Ascending digits or 4 Descending digits.
After you create your PIN, the system will then ask you to record your name. The recorded name is for the system greetings for your voicemail.
Users may choose to use either system greetings or personal greetings for times you do not answer a call.
Most users use the system greetings. Here are examples of what they say:
- Busy – “Your recorded name” is busy and cannot take your call. Please leave a message after the tone.
- No Answer – “Your recorded name” is not available to take your call. Please leave a message after the tone.
In the event you ever need to change your recorded name, log into voicemail and select option 3 for greetings and the system will walk you through changing your recorded name.
You have the option to record personal greetings instead of using the system greetings. To change your personal greeting, log into voicemail and select option 1 to access your voicemail box. The system will then ask you which greeting you want to change.
- Busy greeting – the caller gets this greeting if your line is tied up or you hit the decline when the call comes in.
- No answer greeting – the caller gets this greeting when your line rings three times and goes unanswered. This is the greeting you will want to change if you are going to be out of the office for vacations, conferences or other reasons.
- Extended away greeting – this greeting is a message only it does not allow the caller to leave a voicemail. Once the greeting plays, the system ends the call. Please be very careful if you use this.
After you pick which greeting you want to change the system will walk you through recording you greeting and activating it. You also have the ability to revert to the system greeting.
If you need to access your voicemail greetings from off campus, you can call 859-238-6000. The system will ask you for your mailbox ID which is your extension and then your PIN.