The Proofpoint Security Gateway is the portal which allows user to develop personal approved and block lists for their email. These settings do not overwrite the overall security and malware checks conducted by Proofpoint but supplement the mail delivery process.
Proofpoint groups email into three broad categories:
- Threat emails (malware, imposter, credential grabbers) which are blocked
- Non-threating emails which are passed directly to your in box
- Potentially nuisance emails (Spam and bulk emails) which are store in temporary folders for 30 days but are not delivered to your in box.
You can access the potentially nuisance emails using the instructions below.
To log into the Security Gateway portal please enter https://spamfilter.centre.edu into a web browser. This will take you to our single sign on portal. Please enter your credentials and login. You will be brought to the following screen
Notice the two folders at the top left of the page under the Centre logo:
Low Priority mail – Quarantined: The Low Priority folder is where bulk mail (newsletters, business articles) will start appearing.
Spam – Quarantined: The Spam folder is where your typical spam emails will be. Clicking on a folder will bring up the mail in that folder.
You can review the emails in each folder (you will land in the Bulk folder by default) by selecting the appropriate folder. You can then mouse over any specific email and selecting it to see contents which will be displayed at the bottom of the page.
If you don’t want to take any further action, you can log out. Messages in these folders will age out after 30 days without any user interaction. If you would like to reclassify a message or send to your inbox you can use the options listed to the right of the Centre logo.
To reclassify an email (or emails) you would first select the message by clicking on the white box to left of the message to add a check mark. You can then select one of the icons shown:
- Block Sender – Allows you to add the sender to your personal block list (does not delete the message).
- Allow Sender – Allows you to add the sender to your personal safe list (does not release the message).
- Delete – Allows you to delete the message (does not add sender to your blocked list).
- Release – Allows you to send the message to your outlook inbox (does not add sender to your safe list).
Additional user interfaces:
The “Options” allows you to gather more information or purge the current folder
- Request Digest – Send an email to your inbox with a list of your quarantine items
- Refresh - Refresh your current screen
- Delete All – Deletes everything in your current folder
Below the folders on the left of the screen you will see two tabs: Lists and Quarantine.
Lists – This tab takes you to your safe and blocked Lists and you will see the following:
You are automatically placed in your Safe Sender List. If you had selected “Allow sender” on any of the emails in quarantine, they will show up here.
You also have the following actions:
New – Allows you to manually enter a sender email address so it won’t be blocked by spam scoring
Edit – Allows you to edit an entry in the list
Delete – Allows you to delete an entry in the list
Click on Blocked Senders List on the left to view your blocked senders. If you had selected “Block Sender” on any of the emails in quarantine, they will show up here. The same actions are available as in the Safe Senders List
To return to the quarantine area Click the “Quarantine” tab at the bottom left of the page
When you are ready to leave the “Logout” button is on the right side of the page