Off-Campus or Home Test Reporting Tool
Click here to report a test result.
Please upload your proof of booster vaccination to the student health portal
An internship is a form of experiential learning that empowers students to integrate knowledge and theory learned throughout the curriculum with practical application and skills development in a professional setting.Thus, a meaningful internship is a partnership between Centre College and a host employer, collaboratively defined and guided by the student, a faculty internship mentor (if the student is receiving credit), and an on-site supervisor from the host employer. To ensure that an experience is educational and thus eligible to be considered a legitimate internship, all the following criteria must be met:
• The experience must be an extension of the classroom: a learning experience that provides for applying the knowledge gained through the classroom. It must not be simply to advance the operations of the host employer or be the work that a regular employee would routinely perform.
• The skills or knowledge learned must be transferable to other employment settings.
• The experience has a defined beginning and end, and a job description with desired qualifications.
• There are clearly developed learning objectives/goals related to the professional goals of the student’s academic coursework.
• There is supervision by a professional with expertise and educational and/or professional background in the field of the experience.
• There is routine feedback by the experienced on-site supervisor.
• There are resources, equipment, and facilities provided by the host employer that support learning objectives/goals. If these criteria are followed, it is the opinion of NACE that the experience can be considered a legitimate internship. (National Association of Colleges and Employers, December 19, 2011)