During CentreTerm each January, students participating in the Mérida internship program live in homestays and complete carefully selected internships with Mérida firms or organizations. Intermediate Spanish is necessary. In recent years, students have interned with the following organizations:
• Fundación Haciendas Mayas de Yucatán
• Dirección de Cultura, Ayuntamiento de Mérida
• Escuela Montessori Lancaster
• Escuela Primaria Manuel Cepeda Peraza
• Hospital de ISSSTE (Instituto de Seguridad y Servicios Sociales de los Trabajadores del Estado)
• Hospital Psiquíatrico
• Centro Comunitario, Ayuntamiento de Mérida
• Fundación Plan Estratégico de Mérida
• Museo de Antropología
• Parque Ecológico Aak
Centre charges a fee to participate in this internship. The fee covers orientation, housing, and some outings. Students will be expected to pay for plane tickets, local transportation, and some meals (though most are provided as part of the homestay experience).
To learn more, contact Mindy Wilson in the Center for Career & Professional Development at the Center for Global Citizenship.
Organizations with which Centre College faculty have relationships:
• Arava Institute (Israel)
Located in southern Israel, the Arava Institute for Environmental Studies is the premier environmental studies and research program in the Middle East. Accredited through Ben-Gurion University, the Arava Institute houses academic programs, research centers, and international cooperation initiatives focusing on a range of environmental concerns and challenges. Internships focus on environmental issues. Requirements: Minimum of two months commitment. Fees: $1300/month (includes room and board and all living expenses). Scholarships may be available for Jewish students. (Airfare and visa fees are not included.)
• Tsikbal (Merida, Mexico)
Tsikbal assists students who wish to intern in Merida, Mexico in finding internship placements (in almost any field except law) and homestay housing arrangements. Students should speak Spanish at the intermediate level or higher. Fees: $300 for internship and housing location assistance as well as general assistance while in Merida. Typical housing fees cost around $25 per day and include three meals. (Airfare and visa fees are not included.) For more information, visit the website or contact Claudia Chapa directly at email@example.com.
If you would like to set up your internship independently with an organization abroad, these programs and resources to research organizations might be useful:
• AATG Internship Program — College students looking for the opportunity to gain work experience in Germany can apply for a summer internship through the AATG Internship Program. Internships are available in a wide variety of fields, including social services, agriculture, medicine, business, childcare, and engineering. Some German is required. Deadline to apply is February 1. Fees are estimated at $2000 and include internship placement, assistance with housing, work authorization, and orientation. All internships provide compensation in the form of a salary or room and board.
• DAAD RISE Program — a paid summer internship program for undergraduate students from the United States, Canada, and the U.K. in the fields of biology, chemistry, physics, earth sciences and engineering. All working language will be in English. Deadline to apply is January 31.
• Idealist.org – thousands of non-profit and social issues/policy internships in the U.S. and abroad
• U.S. Department of State – summer internships in foreign affairs in Washington, D.C. or abroad. Deadline to apply is November 1.
There are many third-party internship organizations that can assist (for a fee) in locating high-quality international internships. Each program’s fees pay for varying levels of support and assistance. Below are programs that have been utilized by Centre students in the past and have received good reviews. If you are planning on using a third-party internship organization that is not listed here, we highly encourage you to request help in soliciting feedback about their programs by talking to your career counselor.
• Cheerful Hearts Foundation
Internships are available in the following fields: child labor and trafficking, health/public health, education standards/teaching, and organizational development. Fees start at $650 for the first month and $120/week after the first month and include airport transfers in Accra, rent and accomodation (in a shared house, dorm rooms, or in a homestay, depending on location), and two meals per day. (Airfare, local transportation, and visa fees are not included.)
This program places volunteers in internship placements for a minimum of one month and up to two years in El Salvador. These internships can occur in the CentreTerm or summer months. Crispaz attempts to match students with their interests/course of study with a community need. Types of placements vary (medical, women’s organizations, farming, marketing, human rights, education, etc.). There is no language requirement. Fees are estimated at approximately $900 per month and includes housing, meals, bus money and a small stipend. (Airfare and visa fees are not included.) Students should apply at least three months prior to expected start date.
• Jamaica Volunteer Programs
Internships are available in the medical and healthcare, childcare and orphanage, teaching and education, and business management fields. Fees range from $1710-$3300 for 4-8 week internships. (Airfare, local transportation, and visa fees are not included.)
• Saha Global
Field Representatives participate in a vigorous and comprehensive training program designed and led by the Saha Global team. Groups of four are then partnered with a rural community where they first introduce the business concept and its particular health, social and economic benefits, and then train local women to launch either a clean water or solar business.The cost of the program is $2950, which covers all in-county expenses, including project materials, food and lodging. (Airfare, local transportation, and visa fees are not included.)
• Unite for Sight
Global Impact Fellows work in Ghana, Honduras and India to gain a better understanding of global health deleivery programs. Fees: $1800 plus housing. (Housing costs differ depending on location and duration.) (Airfare, local transportation, food, and visa fees are not included.)
• World Teach
Education internship opportunities exist in China, Costa Rica, Ecuador, Morocco, Namibia, Nepal, Poland, and South Africa. Fees: $3990 for 8-10 week programs (includes housing). (Airfare, local transportation, and visa fees are not included.)